Pure Detroit, in partnership with Arte Express, invites you to tour the Albert Kahn Associates designed Packard Automotive Plant. Originally built as a 5 million sq. ft. manufacturing facility for Packard automobiles in 1903 and later reduced to 3.5 million sq. ft. across 40 acres after the development of Interstate 94, the Packard plant was at the heart of the Arsenal of Democracy in Detroit during World War II.
Learn about the past, explore the current facilities, and share in the vision of the future development and rehabilitation of this magnificent structure.
- This guided tour will take approximately 90 minutes and you will be walking approximately 1 to 2 miles.
- Please arrive 10-15 minutes prior to your tour start time.
- The cost for the tour is $40 per person.
- The tour has a maximum capacity of 30 participants per tour.
- This tour is NOT wheelchair accessible nor comfortably suitable for individuals not able to easily maneuver around ground obstacles.
- Minimum age requirement is 18 years old. Nobody under the age of 18 may take this tour. ID will be checked and verified upon arrival. You MUST have photo ID with you on the tour.
- A waiver is required to be signed upon arrival. After purchasing your ticket a copy of the waiver will be emailed to you for you to print, review and sign. Otherwise, you can sign a copy when you arrive for the tour. A waiver must be signed by every participant. One person per waiver. If you are purchasing 4 tickets, you must have four completed waivers. Again, you can sign and print the waiver, or we will have available copies at the start of the tour.
WHAT TO WEAR / BRING:
- Required apparel includes closed-toe shoes. No sandles or high heels allowed. Please wear long pants such as denim jeans.
- Hard Hats are required to be worn throughout the tour and will be provided to you. Hard hats must be returned at the end of the tour.
- For protection from potential rain and sunlight, you are welcome to bring an umbrella. There is no shade in the waiting area before and after the tour and a large part of the tour is walking outside.
- There are dark areas where you may want to have a flashlight for better visibility.
- Cameras are welcome and encouraged. The artwork throughout the facility is amazing as are the views to downtown and beyond so you are welcome to take photos.
- Reusable Water bottles are okay. Disposable/returnable plastic or glass bottles and cans are not. No outside beverages other than reusable water battles are allowed.
WHAT NOT TO BRING:
- Pets of any kind are NOT allowed on the tour.
- Children under the age of 18 are NOT allowed on the tour. There is nobody to watch your children or pets while you're on the tour. Do not bring anyone with you that will not be joining you on the tour.
- Bicycles, skateboards, roller blades, scooters, wagons, and any other mode of transportation other than your feet are not allowed on the tour. We will be going up and down stairs, parking lot ramps and over obstacles. There are no elevators or ADA compliant ramps available.
In the event of a weather-related postponement of the tour, we will contact everyone via email to let you know and you will receive a voucher for a future tour. Rain will NOT stop the tour.
All questions regarding the details of the tour must be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Tickets are only available here at puredetroit.com and cannot be purchased in-store. Last minute ticket purchases are available on-site at the time of the tour only in the instance that there are no more than 30 participants already signed up for the tour.
WHERE TO MEET:
We gather at the Pure Detroit pop-up shop in the parking lot of the former grocery store across from the Packard Plant Administration Building. The address that will work for directions on your mobile device is:
1539 E Grand Blvd. Detroit, MI 48211 (click the address for a link to the map)
Parking is free and there is a security guard present.
Upon checkout, you still see shipping options. There is no shipping charge for the virtual tickets and nothing will ship to you. We will e-mail you a link to the download for the waiver PDF document. Be sure to bring your ID with you so we can match it up to your tour ticket order.